After running 10 successful Kickstarters, we think it’s pretty safe to say that Don Moyer of Calamityware is something of an expert in running a crowdfunding campaign or two. Don and his partner Lynette Kelley were recently featured on Kickstarter’s Google+ Creators Hangout and shared quite a bit of useful, real-life experiences they encountered on their crowdfunding travels.
- How did Don get involved in his first Kickstarter for the Calamity Plate 1?
- Did you have a sense of where you wanted to take it, as big or small side project?
- What was your experience with running 1st project. Expectations? Biggest challenge?
- How success opened his eyes to the unexpected logistics and admin details.
- How have you been able to grow the community from a few hundred to thousands?
- What key factors kept you coming back to Kickstarter?
- What would “Don now” tell “Don then” doing his first project that he’s learned and to watch out for?
- What made Don and Lynette reach out to sign with a fulfillment company and how has it made so much more possible?
- The importance of fulfillment to customer happiness and how the right partnerships matter.
- What is the process you use to run campaigns?
- How do you determine the funding level?
- When will you do bowls to match plates?
- What is your style of storytelling, what advice to give to others on how to tell that story?
- Was there anything you’ve done which didn’t work? Most useful, most wasteful?
- How did Calamityware transition into a business?
- Once a plate sells out, will you reprint?
- The importance of updating backers.
- What can you share about your plans for he future?